Sunday, May 6, 2018

Are Women Born to Transgress the Law?

It might not always look like it, but I'm a legal beagle. I'm a rule follower. I'm all about exactness.

But I also notice things. I cannot tolerate social injustice. I appreciate nuance. 

As I have pondered the scriptures and reflected on temple blessings, I have asked myself why the task of discernment is placed squarely on the shoulders of women.

Adam saw a forbidden apple; Eve debated right and wrong, truth from error. She ultimately transgressed the law for the betterment of all mankind. 

Likewise, Rebekah tricked Isaac. Ruth seduced Boaz. Esther deceived the King. Mary became pregnant out of wedlock. Elizabeth broke tradition by naming her son, and not after her husband.


Getting $#*+ done.
(source)


Could it be then that men are meant to uphold the law in black and white, while women are entrusted to break it when God's purposes call for it? If so, does a woman remain spotless while she faces consequences like disfellowship and even excommunication? Some Jewish scholars have said Rebekah was punished for deceiving Isaac and directing Jacob to steal Esau's blessing. To me it would seem she was still clean every whit in God's eyes (see John 13:10), but perhaps needed to be absolved of her "sin" from the Church perspective. 

If this setup is correct, then there should be unofficial (at least as the Church is concerned) societies of women seers among us, honing their powers of discernment and acting within bounds the Lord as set, which might not be the same as the exact law given to our Institution. When I think of Satan's counterfeit to this society, the Gadianton Robbers come to mind. --I used to skip over those parts of the Book of Mormon, but now I'm curious to revisit them and contemplate what the opposite organization would look like. 

Allow me to let my mind wander...

Could it be that somewhere out there there is a group of women blessing and naming babies whose parents are gay? Women who lay hands on each other to bless them with healing? Daughters who pray to their Heavenly Mother? And other such "naughty" things?

Just curious. I realize this blog is public, so y'know, I would never do such a thing or promote any rule-breaking... Unless compelled by God!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea (mostly love. I kind of feel like it makes women's lives harder if it is true, and I don't really think that is fair in any way, but at the same time, I think I am missing a lot of puzzle pieces).
    Since you first made me think of this, I've been wondering at why the laws women and men are given explicitly seem to sometimes be so different. Like how Eve may not have gotten the same commandments in the garden as Adam did, or women in the early LDS church never *really*...*technically* were commanded to cease all sharing of spiritual gifts and blessings.
    I just love that your article implies that, just because women might get into trouble for doing some things, it may not necessarily mean that what they do is wrong.
    I wish we could go back to early relief society in some ways and reclaim their practices that bound them together that we've lost since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are LDS women out there blessing each other.

    ReplyDelete